Tuesday 5 July 2011

Pull

A study of simple plains.


Using col-erase pencil again, looking at simple turning plains over a larger area. This image has grown on me more since finishing it.


As usual started with the easy grid method.



I started with the background on this one. I wanted it to be quite dark and it would take a lot of working over, and I didn't want to be leaning on the main image to do the background.



Working from dark to light this time I started with the arm in shade. The hand took some time to do working on the turning plains, slowly increasing the contrast.



Next I worked on the other arm to balance the image and keep the relative tonal values. I didn't take a scan here, but the tone was added to the main body at a later stage.



Continuing with the body I added some darker tones to enhance the turning plains.


Finally I added tone to the ribbon. I was tempted to make the ribbon black, but I didn't want it to get lost in the background and the light in the reference didn't look like it would work with darker tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment