Thursday 28 July 2011

First Class Train

The train ride...



This project took some time, and lots of studying tone.



I did start with the easy grid method, but I have had comments that these early scans can't be seen so I didn't scan it this time. Here I started with the face as it was the most critical part of the image and I wanted to get it down first.

The rest of this first body was really enjoyable to draw with lots of small tone variations and gentle turning plains.

Next I started on the long leg which helped to set the dark tones for the right side of the image and gave an edge to render to.

I added the other leg for balance and went back to add darker tones to the first leg. This was a pattern I continued to follow for the rest of the drawing.

The second head and shadow went in next. The second face had a slight darker tone than the body of the first figure, and the shadow tones were important there to define the two. Again I came back to the border between the two skin tones a few times here.


The rest of the skin area were added together as they had to work in relation to each other. I normally add basic dark tones first but here the difference in tones was not clear and so I worked on the contrast between them more.


The hair of the third figure took quite a bit of work in the end, but here I started with the basic blocks of tone to complete the first set of tones for the figures.


As the hair of the third figure provided much if the tone contrast and is in the foreground of this image I worked on it a bit more as a reference point.



As so much of this image was using subtle contrasting mid tones I felt I needed to start getting the darker bed sheets in to provide a background to render into.



The dark bed sheet and shadow tones made much of the early skin tones look too soft so I went back in to darken them up all over.



Again I went over the whole image and pulled out darker tones that were getting lost, starting of the first leg again.


Finally finishing off with again more darker tones and adding a node to the third figure which I missed of at the start. I thought there was something missing but it took this long to spot it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment