Sunday 11 September 2011

Back to the Stone

A dash of color....



This was an interesting project for me, as it marks my first steps with a color medium.



To start with I lightly drew the line work with a black water color pencil. I may try a complimentary color for this next time.



Then I added tone to the hair as overall it was the darkest part of the image. But added quite a soft tone.



The rest of the black tone was then added at once to complete the first stage.



I added the first color as a light yellow over the whole body to provide an under tone and the basis of the tanned skin. The light tone hardly shows in the scan here.



Then I passed over with a soft tan.



Then again with a darker brown.



A dark purple and the brown were layered over the nipples, lips and a little on the nose. A dark blue was used to add darker tones to the right arm and creases. Also dark brown was used to outline the eyes and a few spots on the face.



The tones of the hair were built up with layers of yellow, orange, brown and black, which I think helped to balance the rest of the image a bit more.



Then to finish I added some grey tone for the stone background. I don't often use a background but felt that with a color piece it was needed to place the figure properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment